The Catalan daily Sport announces this Sunday that Bernardo Silva would have informed his agent Jorge Mendes that he wanted to play for Barça next season. A desire that recalls that of last season, when the Manchester City midfielder had already expressed his desire to join Spain.
Pep Guardiola aware of these departure desires
A desire to leave that he would have even communicated to Pep Guardiola, he who has always claimed to want to let his players leave when they are eager to find another club. “Today I believe Bernardo Silva will continue. But as I’ve always said, since I’ve been at Barca I don’t want players who don’t want to stay. What I can say is that Bernardo is important to us,” he said during the presentation of a charity match between Manchester City and FC Barcelona.
The Portugal international would welcome the idea of moving to Barcelona and starting a new chapter in his career. But it turns out to be very complicated for Barça. During the same event, Pep Guardiola was also amused by the question of Joan Laporta, the president of the Catalan club, who had asked him if the Portuguese will play with the Sky Blues during this match. “Bernardo Silva and ten others,” replied the Mancunian coach with a smile.
100 million euros claimed by City
The other obstacle is that his contract runs until 2025 and it will be complicated to negotiate the transfer fee. Sport assures for the moment that Manchester City would not want to go below 100 million euros, although Barça would like to convince the English leaders to lower this request by at least 40 million. Last season, the Portuguese played 50 official matches in which he scored 13 goals and provided seven assists. He was also considered essential in big games by Pep Guardiola, who notably started him in the round-trip matches against Atlético.
The Catalan daily adds that his transfer could be decided depending on whether or not Frenkie de Jong is sold. The Dutchman’s potential transfer fee is not currently included in the accounts for next season, but could speed things up, says the media. However, on Saturday, Joan Laporta made it clear that the midfielder was not for sale, despite the many interests.